When to prune trees and shrubs?
Many people have been asking me about when and what to prune this Autumn. Following are a couple of lists for Winter and Spring pruning.
When to prune trees and shrubs? Wait till after the leaves fall. This is better since you can see what you are doing and what damage may exist.
The best advise for now is to enjoy the weather and color and the work can wait. It’s better to wait till late winter, or, at least, after leaves have fallen.
Early Spring (While Dormant) Tree and Shrub Pruning
- Bradford Pear (Pyrus calleryana)
- Butterfly Bush (Buddleia Davidii)
- Crape Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica)
- Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida)
- Flowering Plum (Prunus blireana)
- Glossy Abelia (Abelia x grandiflora)
- Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata)
- Honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissiam)
- Hydrangea, Peegee (Hydrangea paniculata Grandiflora)
- Potentilla (Potentilla fruticosa)
- Redbud (Cercis canadensis)
- Spirea (except Bridal Wreath) (Spirea japonica))
- Wisteria (Wistera species
Late Spring/Summer (After Bloom) Tree and Shrub Pruning
- Azalea (Rhododendron species)
- Beautybush (Kolkwitzia amabilis)
- Bridal Wreath Spirea (Spirea x vanhouttei)
- Flowering Crabapple (Malus species and cultivars)
- Forsythia (forsythia x intermedia)
- Hawthorn (Crataegus species and cultivars)
- Hydrangea, Bigleaf (Hydrangea macrophylla)
- Lilac (Syringa vulgaris)
- Magnolia (Magnolia species and cultivars)
- Mockorange (Philadelphus coronarius)
- Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia)
- Rhododendron (Rhododendron species)
- Serviceberry (Amelanchier x grandiflora)
- Slender Deutzia (deutzia gracilis)
- Weigela (Weigela florida)
Stay tuned for more about methods of pruning.